Welcome to the Spring Fling Blog Hop!
First, here are all the blog hop details!! Each day there will be two bloggers, with new posts and giveaways! To enter for each giveaway, just visit each post (linked below) and add a comment to it. The blogs will be live each day by 6AM (Central Standard Time). So be sure to come back daily and check out each one. If you are just joining the blog hop today, you can still go back to the previous days posts and comment there to enter for them as well. All entries need to be in by midnight, Friday, March 27. The drawings will take place on Saturday. Read all the way to the end for my giveaway details 💕
Now, all about one of my favorite patterns for Spring and Summer. I found the True Bias Ogden Cami several years ago and fell in love with its simplicity. It is a semi loose fit shirt, made from woven fabrics. If you have been following my blog for any time, you know I love to modify and hack patterns to get additional looks with them. So after I made my first few Ogden cami’s, including a matching Mini Ogden for my daughter, I decided to turn it into a flowy maxi dress a few summers ago.
This is a simple mod to make. All I did was carry the outer seamline down to my desired length, tapering it out a bit as I went down. Slightly curved the sides up so it hung even when worn, oh, and added pockets into the side seams. I absolutely love how cool I stay when wearing this maxi, a huge bonus for me with our desert heat. I used a navy polka dot rayon challis from So Sew English for this one.
As our weather has already started to heat up here, I have been thinking of my spring/summer wardrobe and knew I wanted to add another Ogden Cami. The problem I had was deciding which one. Since I couldn’t pick, I made three. One, per the pattern, another with a grommet hack, and the third in a knit fabric.
This one was made with a beautiful modal spandex from Surge Fabrics. The only change I made to the pattern when using this knit fabric, was adding an interfacing to my straps.
I didn’t want my shirt to grow and migrate down when wearing, so adding that interfacing holds it in place. With the knit having more drape than a woven, and depending on the fabric you choose, I’d definitely recommend adding the interfacing to the straps and also basting your straps in to verify the shirt hits you where you are comfortable. I used Pellon EK130 for the straps.
I also want to note that I wear a bra with all my Ogdens. You can occasionally see my nude shoulder strap, but it isn’t something that bothers me, and if you wanted to widen the straps a little, you totally could.
My second Ogden was done exactly per the pattern instructions. I used a rayon challis from Surge Fabrics. I love how smooth and cool rayon challis feels. It has such great drape that it works well for dresses and tops, especially those you want movement with.
This shirt looks great half tucked in or fully loose and I feel very springy.
I fell in love with a shirt on Pinterest, that had a very similar look to the Ogden, just with tie straps being fed through grommets. I decided to use another rayon challis I had, this one from Sincerely Rylee fabrics. An added bonus to the tie straps, is making the shirt easy to adjust if you needed to, possibly even breastfeeding friendly.
I had to make a few more modifications to the pattern to make this look happen, but they are still relatively simple. Here are the steps I took to get this look.
I used Dritz eyelets, size 7/16″. Since the top of the bodice, where the straps attach, isn’t wide enough to accommodate this size grommet, it needed to be widened. I centered my grommet on the back pattern piece and then added an additional 3/8″ to each side.
I carried that extra width down until just past the bottom of the grommet. Then I tapered that into the original neckline and armscye. I smoothed out the lines and made sure to repeat the same steps on the lining pieces as well as the front piece.
I skipped cutting out the straps until the end, at which point I determined I wanted them to be three times the length of the original strap. Mine ended up being 28.5″ long. To make the straps, I folded them wrong side together lengthwise, and sewed around the three open sides. I left a few inch gap in the middle of the longest side, for turning. Then I clipped the corners and turned right side out. Tucking in the edges and topstitching over the opening to close it.
To sew up the shirt, I did step one, and then added a 1.5″ square of interfacing to the wrong side of the front bodice pieces. I wanted to leave a little room in addition to the seam allowance, so I placed it 3/4″ down from the top edge. I used Pellon 911FF.
You will then skip to step 4 and 5. When you get to step 6 & 7 you will sew the full neckline and armholes of the lining to the main fabric, right sides together. This will make your two pieces, one full piece. Snip your V in the front and back and clip all around following step 8.
You will then skip step 9 and 10, and do the edge stitching of step 11. Complete step 12, hem, and press. Then add the grommets. I set the grommet on the shirt, centered on that square interfacing we added earlier. Followed the grommet package instructions to attach, and it was done.
I was surprised at how quick it was to sew this grommet version and I am so glad I attempted it.
I hope you enjoyed all my recent Ogden Cami’s and modifications.
Thank you for joining us on this Spring Fling Blog Hop and don’t forget to visit the other blogs !!!
Happy Sewing 💕